Tuesday, September 20, 2005

On Learning Styles

So we all piled into the commons for a moment of forced inspiration, a guest speaker. It was interesting as a teacher to be at the wim of someone else. I had no idea the direction or pacing of the lesson, no learning target on the board, and I wasn't even sure of how long we would be listening or what our end target would be. I was at the mercy of another teacher. My worst nightmare. If you know me, as a learner... you know this statement to be true. It's interesting when you look at my learning style inventory - I uploaded it into the thingy magiggy down below - so if you're curious and actually look at it... it is a snapshot of control. I like anything I can predict. Or I need space to explore new ideas and concepts... and to know that I will be allowed to have the time I need to process it. Having a bunch of students crammed into a room to set goals in a way that wasn't as authentic as it could be... or to ask me to sit and listen without any framework around how for how long? or to what end? is a real personal challenge. I am strongly linguistic by nature...

No comments:

Post a Comment